self-identity /ˈˌself īˈden(t)ədē/ noun
the recognition of one’s potential and qualities as an individual, especially in relation to social context.
To know who you are in this world and have unshakeable confidence is a goal worth striving for, yet difficult to obtain. It does not happen overnight. You take it day by day and navigate around constant messaging around what it means to be human in 2021 and beyond.
The first step is to separate what you want from what other people want. Find your inner voice in the middle of celebrity opinions, political stances, and artificial social constructs.
When defining your values, it helps to have a conversation with yourself. Explore ways to understand who you are. What thoughts and ideas make you feel happy and light? What thoughts and ideas make you feel heavy and apprehensive? We cannot be everything to everybody. Do more of what feels right. Do less of what feels wrong.
You are who you say you are. If you say you are amazing, you are amazing. If you say you are failing, you are failing. When faced with different situations in life, see them as opportunities to decide who you are and what you stand for. Act in ways that align with your values. How you choose to act, think, and feel are all expressions of who you are. Each day is an opportunity to express the best side of yourself.
There are a few ways to blend your values and beliefs into your choices for daily life:
• Make decisions that line up with your feelings and logical brain by looking at the facts of every situation.
• Practice sitting with the discomfort. We do not always get what we want when we want it.
• Think about your personal values without imposing them on others or making demands of others.
• Stand strong with your own ideas, values, and thoughts when others disagree with them.
• Act in ways that fit with who you are and bring harmony into your life.
NEXT STEPS: Share this post with family and friends. This post is about you defining who you are as a person, instead of having someone else dictate the definition to you.